Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

73 Days: To Sleep, Perchance To Dream

When you have to wake up at 3:00 in the morning to get ready for work, sleep becomes very important. Not just pleasant, but vital. You begin to understand that, like water, you have to get the right amount of it in order to survive. You can actually die from not having enough sleep.

It's from this custodial job that I've learned such things, learned that when I don't sleep enough the consequences are more than a grouchy attitude. I can't think straight. I can't focus on my classes. I can't process emotion, thought, or anything my dulled senses are trying to report to me. If I become sleep deprived, I can become physically ill.

So when I "lay me down to sleep," sometimes my brain is in a panic, calculating how many hours I have before work and hoping desperately that it'll be enough. Other times, I just lay there underneath my fluffy comforter and soak in the fact that I don't have to be conscious for the next few hours.

And when I get to the weekend, and I know that I don't have to wake up and go to work in the morning, my idea of celebrating is not to hang out and party all night long. My idea of celebrating is to go to bed early, and just sleep and sleep and sleep.

Maybe that makes me boring. But it also keeps me from homicidal nervous breakdowns, so really, who's going to complain?

1 comment:

Robin said...

I'm a fan of boring.

I'm not a fan of homicidal nervous breakdowns.

I support your sleep.