
Some days I feel like a rag doll sitting on a shelf in a department store.
I watch the other dolls leave in the arms of a child and I know that some of them will be colored on with crayon and chewed on by dogs, but I also know that some of them will be loved forever and ever.
At first, I'm really happy for the dolls that get bought and taken to a nice home. I wave goodbye with my stitched-on smile firmly in place, eager for the day when it's my turn, when I'll get to leave the store and finally belong to somebody.
Then the weeks and months go past, and I'm still here, getting dusty on the shelf. Lots of kids come down the row, smiling and laughing and pointing at all the cool toys, but they always leave me here.
And slowly I come to the realization that nobody wants me.
I'm always going to be here on the shelf, smiling and waiting, until the day they clear out the aisle and pack me in a storage box in the back of the store.
. . .
I hate days like this.
2 comments:
Well, that was a real pick-me-upper, wasn't it?
I'm sorry you're questioning your value to others. Be patient. It will happen.
Until then, pick up the phone and reach out to someone else feeling left behind.
And no more Toy Story for you.
I am sorry you feel like that. You are the best kind of doll that blinks and talks and has a real personality. You will be bought and gift wrapped and loved soon enough.
Post a Comment