Pages

Sunday, November 28, 2010

1 Day: That's All

I climbed and climbed, sweat beading on my forehead, pooling in the crease at my elbows. I felt like I'd been climbing forever. Had it been this rocky the whole time? When did I get that bruise on my ankle? There was nothing before the hike and nothing could possibly lie beyond it.

Somehow, without any warning, I reached the top.

I was startled, stumbling to a halt at the end of the path. The end of the path? How could this be? I tested it with my toe, brushing aside weeds to make sure there wasn't more road underneath. I rubbed my bleary eyes and blinked a few times. It was real. This was the end.

Panting, I turned around and looked at the slope behind me. Miles and miles of road, twisting into the orange-hazed horizon. A road I had traveled. It seemed impossible, even after months of hiking, that I could have covered so great a distance. I squinted, trying to see the pond with the little boat in it that marked my starting point. Was that it? That slight shimmer reflecting the light of the setting sun? I couldn't be sure.

My muscles throbbed softly, still expecting to be called into action at any moment. Did I even remember how to rest after so long a journey? I looked around the clearing, here at the top of the mountain, and spotted a chair sitting under a tree. The sight of it made my limbs woozy. Oh yes, I remembered rest.

I glanced once more at the long trail that had lead me here. I lingered on the thought of each footstep, so labored and seemingly insignificant, and yet here I was at the top of the peak. I smiled, and finally allowed myself to understand. My journey was over. Really over.

"I did it," I said in a whisper.

I collapsed into the chair and fell asleep almost at once.

6 comments:

Robin said...

You did it! You are amazing.

And I can't believe that you can write like this in the midst of the havoc that was happening tonight. Such concentration. I envy you.

I love you. I am proud of you. I am glad that we belong to each other.

Happy birthday.

The Erin said...

Dear The One With Face,

Happy Birthday (belated... by like an hour. Not as bad as usual, eh?)
Anyway, I hope you enjoy being old, and also being in Russia eventually. I'll get going drawing you that thing soon as I can (art finals are eating all my spare time, but they'll be over soon.)You are a wonderful and inspiring person.

Love,
Flay

Karen Mello Burton said...

Happy birthday to my sweet friend. I think you are a joyful person, and I am so glad to know you. Congrats on your writing accomplishment.

Carol said...

I've been gone and seem to have missed the BIG day. Happy 20 and thanks for sharing yourself for 100 days. It's been awesome.

Kim said...

Happy birthday! Welcome to the 20's! Your entrance into this phase of life was much more exciting than mine...so hopefully the excitement will continue cause, for me, 20 was just 20. But clearly you are more prepared for this. And after a substantial hiatus from your writing, you better be back here...

DarthBillgr said...

Oh, was it your birthday? Wow. How old are you now?

Love,
Dad.