Pages

Saturday, October 16, 2010

44 Days: Unwind


I love to read. I LLLLLOOOOOVVVVEEEEE it! I've been knee-deep in this one for a week or so. I've almost finished, and I'm at that point where I'm torn between desperation to keep reading and terror at reaching the end. It's a vicious cycle: you don't want to stop, but if you keep going you're going to get to the back cover and there won't be anything left. *SIGH* It's the bane of my existence.

Anyway, this is a really good one. A dystopia, taking place in the "not-so-far-distant" future. The battle over abortion has been resolved by the compromise known as "unwinding." Life is protected by the law at the moment of conception, but once the child reaches the age of thirteen his life can be retroactively aborted by having him unwound. The teenager is taken apart, and ever part of his body is transplanted, thereby allowing him to continue to live, but "in a divided state." A person can be unwound at any point between his thirteenth and eighteenth birthdays. Once the parents have signed the unwind declaration, they cannot change their minds. It's set in stone.

It's a really well-written book, and the story fascinates me. So if you don't mind, I'm going to get off the computer and go back to my book. Whether I'll be reading it or just holding it in my hands and trying to prolong the experience . . . well, who knows?

Today's Movie: "Beetlejuice"

1 comment:

Robin said...

I knew you'd like it. Thank Sister Skinner; she recommended it. Nik liked it, too.

I think we should do it for book club. There is so much to discuss, so much to think about.

I can't wait until you're done. You, Nik, and I can talk about it.