Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

34 Days: Shakespeare and Stephenie

For my Early British Literary History class, I wrote a sonnet today. We've been studying the Renaissance, where the sonnet came into being. In my writing I also included another aspect of Renaissance culture, though one that is not as well known: Imitation. They saw no problem in what we would call "stealing" from another author's work. They viewed literature as more of a community effort in that way, I guess. Each author borrowed from other authors and tried their own spins on old ideas.

Anyway, that's the long, boring explanation for what is really a rather funny poem. It's based off of William Shakespeare's Sonnet 130, but I've written it basically in response to the ever-so-popular novel Twilight. I hope you like it.


















A Sonnet To Stephenie Meyer

My lover’s eyes are nothing like a gem:

No topaz, onyx tint within them lies.

If stone be hard, his arms have straw in them.

If wit be sharp, his teeth are far from wise.

I have seen stars that sparkle purest white,

But no such sparkles see I in his skin.

He’s never climbed into my room by night,

Nor fear I being eaten by his kin.

He loves to drive my car, yet well I know

His palm could never put a dent in one.

Our kisses never make me swoon; still, though,

I’d think to be awake is much more fun.

So keep your moody, teenaged carnivore

I find a man who’s living offers more.


- Jessica Grosland



Today's Movie: Some Scooby Doo Film

3 comments:

Breanna said...

Haha! This is hilarious! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Excellent! You are an artist. :D

Robin said...

I can see why your class liked it. Awesome.