It took me only twenty minutes to drive to BYU, despite the construction on the roads. But then it took me another half hour to find someplace to park. I slammed the van door shut, grumbling, and began to walk the three blocks to campus. (Yeah, I didn't get an ideal parking spot.) By the time I got there, I was sweaty AND grumpy.
First stop: the Brewster Building, where a very nice lady helped me fill out the paperwork so I can be cleared to start my job next week.
Next stop: the Wilk, where I was bombarded with a multitude of freshmen taking their New Student Orientation tour. I fought vigorously, punching and flailing my way upstream until I got to the bookstore. Miraculously, it took less than ten minutes to find my books and get out of there, but that was long enough to almost bump into someone I used to be madly in love with. You will be disappointed to hear that I did not initiate contact, though I did swoon a bit upon seeing him. We were standing at checkout lines across from each other, and I'm sure he saw me. But despite the promises that were made to me in all those chick flicks I watched, he did not run after me and tell me he wanted to catch up over a romantic dinner. Sigh.
Third stop: the Administration Building, where I turned in the signed documentation necessary to explain to BYU that I'm living with my parents. This is also the place where I ran down to the basement to avoid the roasting heat and wonder why on earth I'd worn a long-sleeved shirt.
Last stop: back to the Wilk, where I fought a brand new hoard of freshmen on my way to renew my bus pass and settle a little disagreement with BYU about health care.
Then I had to walk back to my car, which was hot and exhausting just like last time - except that THIS time I had several textbooks in my arms. And, since I'd had to park in front of some random person's house several blocks away, it took a while to find my car again.
BUT I got done everything I needed to for school, and so now I can spend the rest of my summer (the whole three days) relaxing and letting my brain rot a little more. Which is what summer is all about, after all.
3 comments:
You are so productive and effecient.
Funny how the peons (Freshmen)irritate you. How long exactly has it been since you were one of them?
You know you can park anywhere right? Like... just lots 1-9 or summat are still being controlled.
Anyways, I feel ya. :( Hot sweaty textbook walks are the worst.
The wilk is CRAZY!! I was in there today too for a little bit and was really happy to get out. Monday is coming fast... :( Good luck! I hope I see you on campus a lot! I might have to stalk you and conveniently bump into you now and then.
Post a Comment