Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Volunteering in Russia

I'm so super excited about this whole Russia volunteering stuff that I've been reading up on it for weeks. Here's some of the stuff from the website, so you guys can be a little more up-to-date on what I'll be doing over there. (Plus some pictures of the school!)

"Russia volunteers can use their vacation time in Ukraine, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Finland or Sweden."



"Russia enjoys the changing seasons, with hot summers and cold winters. Many people are worried about the Russian winters, but they don’t need to be. Generally anything that keeps you warm in the US will keep you warm there, if you simply add gloves, a hat, a scarf, and warm boots." (Does that strike anyone else as humorous?)



"A typical schedule in Russia would be as follows: You would go to the school in the morning and have breakfast, then you would teach for three hours on a Monday, but two hours in the morning and two in the afternoon on a Tuesday. You typically eat lunch at the school. Mid-day you may either attend language classes, which meet two times per week, or culture classes, which meet two times per month. You may go sight seeing around the city, study the language, go to an orphanage, spend time with your host family/other teachers, just go to a store or any other worthwhile thing that you choose. Outside of teaching, your schedule is intentionally left open for you to create your own experience! "





2 comments:

Robin said...

I am very excited for you. It looks like the perfect fit.

But I'll still worry every second you're gone. That's just what I do.

Karen Mello Burton said...

Do you get to take Russian while you are there? I am so jazzed for you!