Pages

Saturday, February 28, 2009

SUCCESS!!

It is official. It is no longer a passing remark of dwindling hope. It is real.

I will be attending college out of state!

Yesterday I received my acceptance letter from Purdue University, Indiana. I haven't heard back from any of the other schools yet and I won't for a while, but it doesn't matter entirely. Despite the results of any of my other choices, I still will be leaving Utah to go to college.

I am SO excited!

I've been reading through the packets and brochures they sent me and Purdue is a fantastic place to live. Despite its academic value, it's also got a lot of great things about the surrounding area, the clubs, the culture . . . Anyone remember the Battle of Tippecanoe? American History? Yeah, the battleground and memorial is right off the Purdue Campus. It's pretty sweet.

. . .

Sorry. It's still not quite registering in my head. I mean, think about it. It's March tomorrow, right? March, April, May, June, July, August. In six months, I will be gone. Away from everything and everyone I've ever known. Starting from scratch in a place 1,300 miles from home.

...Actually, it's pretty terrifying. I don't know if I can do it. Everyone else, all of my friends, will be here, able to go see each other on the weekends if they want to, or to go to a party or a movie together. Who will I have over there? What if I can't handle it? What if I collapse under the pressures of college and I don't even have a friend to fret to? I've never lived outside of Utah in my life! Who knows what will happen?

(*sighs*)

Well, I guess I'm still really glad to have been accepted. (*smiles grimly*) After all, not every Senior at Springville High can say they even applied out of state. So, all in all, I suppose life is good.




Oh, and Logan? If you're out there, thanks for the message you left on my cell phone. It was sweet. And it made me wish I HAD been awake at quarter to one in the morning. If I'd have known you were going to call, I would have waited up for it.

4 comments:

Logan Thomas said...

Ha ha! It's probably better that you were asleep because we were all a little loopy.

But I'm so excited for you! That is going to be so much fun. Don't worry about leaving people here because you are going to have an amazing time meeting new people and having new experiences. You will just have to promise to write often and tell us when you will be visiting little ol' Springville.

Also, there is one thing I want you to promise me more than anything else. Promise me you won't become a crazy. You know how it is, people that you really like go off to college far away and you don't hear from them very often, but when they finally visit you find out that they are completely changed (and not for the better). I know that there is a much bigger world outside of Happy Valley Utah, but please promise me that you won't try to prove its existence by doing "crazy" stuff.

Am I making any sense at all?

Diana Renae said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!! That is so impressive Jessica! I'm sure it will be wonderful. I hope that its everything you dreamed of, we will miss you tons and tons so keep in touch! Ah that is soo exciting!

Jessica Grosland said...

Logan, I'm already a crazy. But I know what you mean. And I promise. I don't plan to change who I am because I'm changing where I'm going to live. However, I DO plan on changing all of the crazies in Indiana into cooler people.

Imagine all those poor unsuspecting Indiana citizens about to have Jessica Grosland thrust into their midst. They don't stand a chance!

Logan Thomas said...

Haha!
I'll pray for them!