Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Strangely Productive

It's getting late, and I have a hot air balloon rising to go to tomorrow morning, so I'll have to make this quick. It's just that I've been actually doing things this week, and since most of my blog makes me out to be a lazy slob, I wanted to make sure that my instances of go-getting were recorded as well.

First of all, I finally checked my grades from Winter semester. I'm always too scared to check them right after finals; I have to put a few weeks between those classes and myself before I can chance it - and this was a particularly rough semester, involving many research papers, as you may recall. Anyway, I checked my grades because I figured it would be important for me to know if I was on academic probation and was going to lose my scholarship. Instead, GOOD NEWS! They were the best grades I've had since starting at BYU! My GPA actually went up this semester, and my scholarship is still firmly in hand.

(*nerd dancing*)

Next, I started my application to the English Teaching program. (To avoid confusion, let it be known that this has nothing to do with my trip to Russia. Russia = ILP. English Teaching program = BYU.) I have to write a bunch of papers, some autobiographical, some analyses of professional journals. Then I have to write a ten minute lesson plan and film myself teaching it to a room full of "students." I'll try to submit the application some time in July, even though the due date isn't until September, because I want to make sure they'll have time to interview me before I leave for Russia. If I'm accepted into the program, I'll officially be an English Teaching major! Then I can stop taking literary criticism classes (yuck!) and start taking classes like ENGL 420 - Literature for Adolescents.

On the note of I'm-actually-working-toward-a-lifetime-career-and-not-just-banging-my-head-on-textbooks-for-fun, I was finally able to report my AP test scores to BYU. (Yes, I took the AP tests in my junior year of high school, three years ago. It's taken me a while to get this done, okay?) The amazing thing about AP test scores is that they can count for college credit - a fact I did not really appreciate in high school, mostly because I didn't know what "college credit" was. Long story short, the scores have now been reported, and they are worth 22 credits! For those of you who don't get the credit system either, that means an entire semester's worth of classes that I no longer have to take because I did so well in high school.

(*another nerd dance party*)

Of course, it doesn't really mean I'll graduate any earlier than expected, probably. I still have a bunch of classes required for my major that I still need to take (ENGL 329 - Teaching Grammar and Usage in Secondary School, for example). But it's still nice to have that large helping of free credits, if only for this one thing:

Those 22 credits, added to my 69.5 credits from BYU, put me at having earned more than 90 college credits. Which means . . .

I am now a senior in college.

O_o

And to think I was a junior just last week! How's that for productive?

4 comments:

Robin said...

I'm doing a nerd dance, too. Okay, just in my head, but still.

Way to go. I love you and am so proud of you.

(And I will still love you and be proud of you if your grades stink or you drop out of college. You'll just have to listen to lectures.)

Anonymous said...

Now they begin hounding you to get out of the school. 0_o Jk, jk. Congrats face. :D

Chelsea said...

Wow! Good for you! I'm glad you got good grades even with custodial going on at the same time! I think your alarm helped you out a few times! :) AP credit is great! It got me out of school earlier! Yay for productivity!
PS My 2 worst semesters gradewise were when I wasn't dating Brian... figure that out!

MaggieJo said...

All of that is amazing!!! also, I love the poem in the next post. Oh by the way, I know you don't want this, but... I'm making plans to hook you up with my brother who is currently serving in Russia. Biggest reason, not only would he not be weirded out by your dad, he would jump into the conversation without a second thought.