Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Park Ranger Me



Awww. Ain't I cute? Truth be told, it's hard to lose when you're wearing four shades of brown - including your hair.

Yup, I started my new job at Utah Lake this week. I'm working ten-hour days, four days a week - which is a lot. Especially for someone who's been bumming around for the last three weeks. -- I'm happy about it, though. It's a great job, with great people. And, of course, it's money.

My job is pretty simple. I run the booth (sometimes with a partner or two, sometimes not). That involves a lot of answering phone calls, taking money, and explaining about Quagga Mussels (Curse them forever! *spits*). The other part of my job is decontaminating all the boats that come through that have been in Quagga-infested waters. Fortunately, there aren't many, so mostly I sit in a chair and play with a cash register.

Most of our customers are great. They're polite and friendly, and they don't cause trouble. Other customers are . . . less encouraging. But I don't think about those ones. A far more acceptable variety of customer is the Nice Guy with Stupid Questions. Only two days into the job, I've already dealt with some of these. And like I said, the people are nice, so I'm not at all irritated with them for asking these questions. The questions just make me pause and stare at them in a "really?" sort of way.

Question 1: "You know down there, with all the water?" (Uh, do you mean . . . the lake, sir?)

Question 2: "What temperature is the water? Don't you guys have a temperature gauge that can tell you what temperature the lake is?" (...It's a LAKE, sir.)

Question 3: "Hey, if the sign at the campsite has a label that says CLOSED on it, does that mean I can't camp there?" (...yes. Yes it does.)

Anyway, it's been good times.

But I will admit one thing that displeases me about the job. It's not a huge deal, but it is Undesirable #1 in my book: the mosquitoes. I have three mosquito bites just on my right hand. There are many more, in far less convenient locations. (How did a mosquito get there anyway?)

Ah well. I shall have to invest in some bug spray.

-
-
-

Oh! P.S. Check out the new things I put on this blog. That whole column to your left is completely new. I've split the Friends turned Fiancéed thing into two new lists; one for engaged people, and one for actually married people. And the best new thing is - naturally - the countdown clock I have for Russia! (*dances*) Cool, aren't they?

6 comments:

Tairsa said...

First, thank you for the Harry Potter quote. ONE MORE MONTH!!!!

Second, thanks for keeping me updated on weddings and engagements. It's through you I get most of my info, though I told all of the missionaries I am writing about Logan being engaged... I got a few questions about that one. Don't worry, I've since clarified.

Third, you rock. HOORAY FOR RUSSIA!

Anonymous said...

*applause* It's lovely! And yes, brown in all shades is utterly fantastic. :D Way to go, Gros, on getting a job and being a man. :D

Robin said...

I am glad you're having fun (mostly) at your new job.

The blog redesign is lovely. The countdown clock is cool, but freaks me out a bit.

Love you.

Katy said...

SUPER cool job! That was a slam dunk!

Kim said...

Yay! You get to be a hippie too! Just in a very different, but still loving the earth, kind of way ha ha. And Heather is lovin' the brown as well. It's such a...natural(?) color :)

Also-I'm sorry about the mosquitoes. I definitely know how that is. One of the students counted and killed 57 mosquitoes in like 7 minutes. Yeah. Disgusting.

Kelsey said...

this is embarrassing. but I just barely discovered your blog and I think you are fabulous. brown is a delicious color because it has so many meanings and it looks great on you.