Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Funny Nerd Story

I am a nerd. This is not something that I am generally ashamed of, however it has led to some rather awkward social situations. I don't pay as much attention to fashionability as I do to grammar errors on billboards, so when the phrase "Fo sho'" became popular in junior high I greatly embarrassed myself by trying to be hip one day after school and saying, "Fa sha!" (Kim Lifferth, Jessica Pettersson, and mostly Becca Murdock still make fun of me for this.)

Anyway, the moral of the story is that when you are a nerd, sometimes you get things in the real world wrong. Such misunderstandings can be quite hilarious or rather humiliating. Generally, since I think everything is funny, I just laugh at myself and move on. As I did in the following story.

Not long after I had first moved into my apartment I was analyzing my roommates' personalities, their likes and dislikes, so that I could know how to relate to them and become friends. One of the things I picked up on was that my redheaded, pale, but Amazon-Woman-ly tall roommate Alli was really into the Kardashians.

These lovely ladies are a few of the Kardashians. They are a famously screwed up family with their own reality television series (Keeping Up with the Kardashians) and have been in the news quite a few times with their various antics. On a side note, I would not recommend searching for pictures of them on the internet, as apparently the Kardashian females have a distaste for wearing clothing.

Anyway, Alli was obsessed with this TV show. She was always talking about how much she loved the Kardashians and how she wanted to just watch them on TV all the time, how she thought all the Kardashians were amazing or whatever.

This is where the nerd part comes in, for when I heard Alli describing her fascination I heard, not "Kardashians" but "Cardassians."

You see, Cardassians are a species on Star Trek. They are notoriously rotten and conniving, and they particularly enjoy preying on Bajorans (another species, we'll talk about it later). The Federation butts heads with the Cardassians, the Maquis had a major conflict with them, and once a holographic Cardassian caused a lot of grief in the Delta Quadrant through heinous xenobiological practices. But I digress.

So when I heard Alli talking about her obsession with "Cardassians" I thought I had found a kindred spirit, a fellow trekkie who would get jokes like, "Maybe the professor is a Q" or "If only Wesley the Wonderboy were here to do my calculus for me." But alas, it was not to be. My roommates soon corrected my misapprehension, and I continue to watch Voyager episodes alone in my bedroom.

(*starts singing, eyes closed and air-guitaring*) That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!








EDIT:

To watch the music video of "That's my story and I'm stickin' to it," click the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpiUizTeRbM

7 comments:

The Erin said...

For what it's worth, I've never heard of that show either, and I'd much rather watch a show about a conniving Star Trek race.
Of course, I'm not sure how much that helps, cause I spend my Saturdays playing video games by myself...
Let's just dig a cave in the mountainside and form a new colony of nerds....

Anonymous said...

You. Are. Awesome.

Robin said...

Way funny! You are definitely our child. Your father will be so proud.

Sorry your nerdiness gets you in trouble in the real world. If it helps, dad and I have been dealing with the same problem for a LONG time.

Thanks for sharing. It make me laugh.

Scott said...

Jess, i can totally relate to this.

Being a nerd is a great thing. And for what it's worth ... i end up watching a lot of tv shows alone in my room :)

Luann said...

I've never watched the Kardashians, but I know who they are. And just so you know, every time I hear their name, I'm also reminded of those conniving Cardassians.

Scott and I kissed for the first time while watching an episode of Star Trek, I think it was TNG but I can't quite remember because I was a little distracted at the time, in a Heritage Halls lobby. 1993.

We are nerds, and proud of it.

K and D Roylance said...

It's always nice to know there are others of your kind in the world. I usually end up on the embarrassed/humiliated side of things.
I grew up in the mid-west where I not only had the nerd thing, but I was also a "mormon" (maybe I thought that to my high school friends it was all the same thing, happily they weren't really unkind about it).
I like the advice of shake it off and move on.

Karen Mello Burton said...

This was a funny post! I love that your mind went straight to ST!

I feel bad for Scott watching TV alone in his room, but knowing he got some lip action with Lu over his nerdiness I don't feel too sorry for him. :)