So, anyways . . .
This is a picture of my apartment complex (aka, The Riv):

Beautiful, innit? Yeah, I know you're all jealous. You wish that you could live in a building where the oven runs on hellfire, the furnace is having an identity crisis, and the most populous items in the cupboards are popcorn and marshmallows. It's pretty much da bomb.
Plus, you never know who's gonna be in your house when you come home. It's great!
Okay, so I wake up at three o'clock in the morning and walk along that very sidewalk (only it's not as colorful in the dark). Then I turn the corner and am greeted by someone who is now an old friend:

Yes, it's Life-Size Stump that Looks Like a Guy Leaning on a Car! No, really, this stump and I go way back. See, when I'm walking at three-ish in the morning and I turn the corner, all I can see is this silhouette of something big and menacing leaning up against a parked car. For the first three weeks I jumped every time I turned the corner, thinking that there was some creepy rapist standing there waiting for me. I finally got used to it, though. Even if, truthfully, I have to remind myself every time I'm approaching the corner, "Okay. There's gonna be a big ol' scary monster as soon as you make this turn, but don't worry. It's only a stump."
And then I make it through work and - hopefully - all of my classes. But even as the students walk along with bright smiley faces, blissfully chiming "Hello!" to each and every person who makes eye contact with them, there is a constant threat of which we are all painfully aware, and to which we are all vulnerable:

SLEEP. Upon entering college, all students unwittingly become susceptible to narcolepsy. The Sandman works overtime on campus, and you can see his victims sprawled endlessly over the battlefield: collapsed upon textbooks, on the lawn, or into food trays. I have already discovered my favorite place to pass out on campus (besides my Sociology class). It's on the third floor of the JKB. Good times.
REALLY SHORT SUMMARY OF CURRENT EVENTS:
* I told Jimmy I can't date him more than twice in a row because I don't want to "go steady." He promised he would respect my rule, but confessed that he couldn't say he liked it too much.
* Halloween on campus was great. My favorite costume was a Mario who had theme music with him where ever he walked.
* I'm mad at Scott Evans because he's a slacker and hasn't sold me a Choir Dinner ticket yet.
* I'm taking a Mission Prep class. I have a Preach My Gospel and we're setting goals and practicing missionary experiences and everything. I think I might actually do it, you know. And I'll probably be pretty good, because I still have two more years to practice.
* My birthday is in 27 days.
And . . . that's all for now. But I'm planning to take many more pictures now that I have something to do with them.
6 comments:
Nice Pics.
So does Jimmy have to date someone else before he dates you again or do you have to date someone else before you date him again or both?
Going steady can actually be quite fun, ya know.
You don't have to marry him! Just kiss the boy!
Mission prep! You have to tell me whether or not you like your professor so that I can decide who to take it from...
And P.S. I love your guts. :)
Hey, I lived in that place of hellfire and marshmallows. Great combo! Now I just commute 4 nights a week from a nice cozy house.
Seriously though, I never got the people that were always passed out all over campus. I remember stepping over bodies and being super quiet at the vending machine because there was always somebody asleep against it. :)
Sister Skinner, you are a bad influence on me.
And I'm the one who has to date someone else. I'd feel weird making rules about who he dates.
Kimberly, I'm taking it in my ward, as a replacement for the Gospel Doctrine class. So it's not really from a professor. But I'll still let you know how it goes.
P.S. Did you ever know that you're my hero?
Post a Comment