O cursed wretch am I! O loathsome fate!
To struggle in my mind's dark, empty shaft
And torture self to write something of weight
To push toward that gloried final draft.
My pen leaves trails of blood as testament.
My sweat and tears have soaked the paper through.
I eat and breathe this essay every day.
And as I weep from effort's long torment
Myself I offer sacrifice unto
Whichever god can help me scrape an A.
- Jessica Grosland
P.S. In case you are unfamiliar with the rules for structure in Ode-writing, let me clear a few things up:
There are three main guidelines. An Ode:
1) Must be ten lines to a stanza.
2) Must be in iambic pentameter. (ten syllables, with every other syllable emphasized)
3) Must follow the rhyme form ABABCDECDE.
There. You're smarter now. Aren't I a gem?
3 comments:
Yes, you are a gem. And I think it's truly hysterical that you would post an ode, and define an ode, in your blog the same day I would mention an ode and that I don't know what an ode is in my blog.
Sorry, but we are connected on a very deep level.
And it's a great ode!
Aw, thanks.
Post a Comment