Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2014

I Couldn't Be Happier

I've been student teaching for several months now. Since it takes up the majority of my life, it's all anyone ever wants to talk to me about. When they ask about it, their faces are always glowing with pride and delight; they're happy for me. They're glad I'm out there doing what I love, making such great progress in my eduction and in my life. They say, "How's student teaching going?" and wait cheerfully for me to tell them how much fun I'm having.

How can I disappoint them by telling them the truth?

To borrow a few lines from Wicked:

"I couldn't be happier.
No, I couldn't be happier.
Though, it is - I admit - the tiniest bit unlike I anticipated.

But I couldn't be happier.
Simply couldn't be happier.
Well, not "simply."
'Cuz getting your dreams . . . it's strange, but it seems a little . . . well, complicated.

There's a kind of a sort of . . . cost.
There's a couple of things get . . . lost.
There are bridges you cross you didn't know you crossed until you've crossed.

And if that joy, that thrill,
Doesn't thrill like you think it will . . .
Still . . .
With this perfect finale, the cheers, and the ballyhoo,
Who wouldn't be happier?
So I couldn't be happier.
Because happy is what happens when all your dreams come true.

Well, isn't it?"

No comments: