Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

My Brother the Author

I have been home for a whole week now. Weird. I'm getting over the culture shock. Still, though, I have to keep reminding myself that I'm not going to go back any day now. That part of my life is over; at least for a long time.

However, there are good things here, too. One of those is that I have been reunited with my awesome family. My brother Nik, for instance, has been entertaining me almost nonstop since I returned. For your reading pleasure, here's a sample of his hilarity in a story he wrote for extra credit. Ladies and gentlemen, without further ado I present...

The Incredible Adventures of Pete and Tim
By Nikolas Grosland

Once upon a time, there was a giant carrot named Pete. Pete was twenty feet tall but the thing that surprised people most about him was the fact that he was alive. The farmer who grew Pete tried to keep him a secret but, it's not very easy to find a place to put a twenty foot carrot. Especially when it's walking around. The government found out about Pete and sent a helicopter to pick him up. The government built Pete a monument and even gave him his own house. But Pete was sad. He missed his old home with the farmer. Everything the government did to try and make Pete happy, just made him more sad. One day, a government official was sent to Pete's house to check up on him, but when the official arrived, Pete was gone.

The official whipped out his cellphone and quickly dialed the number for the FBI. He told them that there was a giant carrot running around and they needed to stop it. The FBI laughed at him for his foolishness and reassured him that there's no such thing as a twenty foot carrot named Pete. The official knew he had to get help, so he got in his car and headed for the white house. When he arrived he saw a horrible sight, the white house had been smashed and there were chunks of carrot lying around in the rubble. The official turned to run but as he turned around, he saw Pete. Pete's eyes were burning red and they seemed to pierce right into his very soul. He screamed, and ran to get away from this monstrous garden vegetable.

Pete would not let him get away. Every step that the official took, Pete would get closer. The official ran himself straight into a dead end and Pete recognized his chance. Pete leaned down, grabbed the official, and brought him up to his mouth. The official cried out seeing that the end was nigh. He closed his eyes and started to pray, hoping that somehow he would be saved from this terrible fate. He waited for the giant carrot to swallow him whole. The carrot was being awfully rude, and was taking a long time. So the official opened one eye to see what was happening. The carrot leaned forward and whispered into the official's ear.

"I think something happened to your white house." were the last words the official heard before he was swallowed up by a giant carrot named Pete. In the end, Pete ravaged the rest of the world and became leader. But because he was the only giant carrot, he became very lonely. One day as he was sitting at the top of the Eiffel Tower, his thoughts turned to his oldest friend, the farmer. He wondered what had happened to the old man who had given him life. He thought of all those times when the farmer had protected him from the outside world. He thought a while longer and wondered if the farmer had been protecting him from the rest of the world, or if he had been protecting the rest of the world, from him.

Pete suddenly became very angry as he came to this realization. He decided that he would go find the farmer and bring him a long and painful death. On the other side of the world, the farmer was just finishing his daily milking of the cows. As he turned to walk back to his house, he saw his most prized possession.

"Pete!" the farmer cried, as he dropped his buckets and ran to greet his creation. But before he could get to his long missed giant carrot, he was picked up. "Pete, what are you doing to me?" the farmer asked as he struggled to get free from the massive carrot's grasp.

"I didn't ask to be created! Why did you have to create me?! You kept me from the world so that I didn't destroy it, but now I'm going to destroy you!"

"I wouldn't do that if I were you Pete". Pete turned to see who the mysterious voice was, and as he turned he saw a giant watermelon.

"My name is Tim. I was created by the farmer to stop you when you came back for revenge". Pete looked at the farmer.

"Is this true? You've replaced me?" Pete became even more angry.

"Yes Pete. I'm sorry, but I did it for your own good. When I first created you I knew you were too powerful and that you wouldn't be able to control it. I knew that you would eventually be let free and that you would destroy the world. So as soon as you left, I made Tim. Tim is good Pete. And he will destroy you." Pete yelled out in aggravation and crushed the farmer in his hand. Pete threw him on the ground and turned to get rid of his replacement. Pete ran at Tim, but Tim was too fast. Tim dodged Pete then picked him up, and ate him.

Tim rejoiced in his victory, he yelled in celebration. He wanted to share his happiness with the farmer, and that's when he remembered. Tim ran to his creator and knelt by his side.

"Farmer! Dad. Are you going to be alright?" Tim started to sob.

"No son. My time has come. You have to save humanity now." Tim didn't understand.

"Dad, I killed Pete. Humanity has been saved." The farmer's breaths became weak. He could still talk, but only in a whisper.

"Pete had an older brother. I made him before Pete but, he was so strong that he left to the moon. He told me that one day he would destroy the solar system. That's why I created Pete, but Pete was evil. So I created you. And you're the only thing that can stop him." The farmer's eyes grew dim, and his body became limp. Tim yelled louder than he had ever yelled before, and vowed over the farmer's dead body that he would save humanity and destroy Pete's older brother.

But his vow was in vain...

1 comment:

Robin said...

Seriously awesome story.