с Новым годом, все!
Do you like making New Year's resolutions? I know a lot of people feel pressured or strained by them, but I absolutely LOVE them! I've always liked making New Year's resolutions, since I was little; I've never been able to limit myself to just one. I remember, when I was about ten years old I made a list of resolutions that was almost one hundred items long!
Well, I don't do quite so many anymore. But I still love taking stock - reminiscing about how last year went and what I accomplished, then looking forward to what the new year holds in store for me.
So let's take stock. Any of you who have been reading my blog since last year will know that I made some predictions about what would happen in 2011. These were my plans:
1. Fly in an airplane for the first time ever! Complete. Before 2011, I had never flown before. Now I have been on seven different aircraft, and have over thirty hours of flight experience. Very exciting - my favorite was probably when I flew over the north pole on my way home.
2. Go to a foreign country for the first time ever! (RUSSIA, BABY!) True story. You've read all about it. And, as you may recall, I've now been to four foreign countries - Russia, Estonia, Sweden, and Germany (if you count the Frankfurt airport).
3. Apply and be accepted into the English Teaching Program so I can get on with my life. Done and done. It took a lot of paperwork, and a lot of patient prayer, but I'll be starting in the program in two days' time.
4. Watch at least 12 of my friends become married people (This is really just a bet I'm making: who will fall in 2011?) Those of you who have paid any attention to the growing list on the side of the page will notice that I had, not twelve, but thirteen friends become married people in 2011. (I think the true number is fourteen, but I haven't been able to verify if Tom is actually married or still engaged.)
5. Learn to juggle with four balls instead of just three. Sadly, this is one goal I have yet to complete. I now have a set of my very own juggling balls, though. This skill is on the horizon.
6. Start actually going to social events at school and make some new friends already! This one really picked up once I started involving myself in the singles' ward I was placed in. I made a ton of friends there - and of course later in Russia. Hopefully, I'll be able to keep this one going and make a bunch of friends in the English Teaching department at school. (I expect I'll rarely spend time anywhere else.)
7. Turn 21 years old. I love making my birthday a New Year's resolution. It takes hardly any effort on my part, but it's something I get to look forward too all year.
8. Become the gorgeous, witty, talented adult-version of Jessica Grosland. Well, this is a constant work-in-progress.
Many people have expressed their gratitude that 2011 is over, but I can't. I had a great year, and will always remember it with a fond smile. But I can't wrestle time to the ground and sit on its chest - it will just keep on plodding ahead. I'd better just learn to keep up.
I have big plans for 2012. (Yes, even more thrilling than turning 22!) For one thing, I'll be going to BYU every semester/term this year - Winter/Spring/Summer/Fall. My classes won't be just mental exercises either; they'll be intensive training for my quickly-approaching career as an English teacher. If last year was focused on adventure and exploration, this year will be focused on practice and preparation.
I have goals in all areas: Academic - get all As in my teaching classes; make and keep a semester plan. Athletic - exercise for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week. Social - go on a few dates; learn to cook a new dish every month; start and maintain a monthly budget. Religious - go to the temple at least once a month; and . . . (perhaps my most ambitious goal of the year) . . . read all of the standard works: the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price.
Oh yes. I am completely serious.
To wrap up this very, very long blog post: I'm looking forward to the coming year. Expect to read a lot about my teaching classes, but also expect to hear about how I'm trying to balance my life with those other goals. We will say goodbye to the St. Petersburg time and the Newlywed list, but only to say hello to a handful of new gadgets that will be popping up soon. There might be posts about the new Spider-Man movie, the supposed end of the world, and maybe some things nobody would have expected. (Do you think this might be the year I get my first kiss?)
We shall see. 2012 - prepare to be conquered.
3 comments:
Oh my, I am such a nerd...but I love the organization of your resolutions. For real. I make resolutions every year but I have never thought about making categories so I cover all the important things. Awesome. Totally stealing the idea :)
If anyone can read all of the standard works in one year, you can!
I love you! You are such a fun person to read about! Good luck with all the standard works! I finished the whole Old Testament last year for my resolution, and that was tough!
I'm excited to read about the first kiss, so GET ON THAT!:)
Post a Comment