Pages

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Home for the Holidays


I knew to prepare for culture shock when I went to Russia. What I didn't expect was that I might experience culture shock upon my return to America. I've lived here my whole life; how could it be strange coming back to it?

Well, it was. It first started in the airport; my instinctive responses for "excuse me" and "thank you" are still in Russian, and that caused a lot of confusion with English speakers. And there are suddenly a LOT of English speakers. In Russia, the mumblings of crowds was easy to tune out, because I didn't understand it. If I ever heard English, it was usually directed at me. So now that everyone around me was speaking English all the time, my ears are constantly over-stimulated. It's taking some getting used to.

And it's really hard for me to talk about Russia in the past tense. I keep wanting to say, "when I came here to Russia" instead of "when I went to Russia." Mostly it's a matter of habit. But it does cause a little pang in my heart every time I have to correct myself. "I mean, when I used to live in Russia."

I miss my friends, the other ILP girls.

I miss my host family.


I miss the Russians I used to see everyday at the school.


And I miss Russia.



 

 But don't get me wrong. I am happy to be back with my family. They went all-out when I got home, making me a huge banner - "Welcome Home, Jessica!" - and delightedly showing me around the rearranged house. Everyone I've spoken to has been eager to hear stories about Russia, and I'm only too glad to indulge them. (I fear that the novelty will wear off, and I will soon become outrageously annoying with my Russia fixation.)

And I've gotten back into the swing of things. I've been to campus to take care of a few things for next semester. I've wrapped all the presents I got for my family. I've gotten a haircut. I've played video games with my family. I'm easing into the routine of things; because, like I've said, this all feels slightly uncomfortable and unfamiliar after my semester abroad.

However, if there's one thing I've always felt strongly it's the need to keep moving. Once I've got a handle on things, I always want to move up to the next level. Progression requires change, and I'm ready to tackle it.

Going to Russia was a big step up. I learned a lot; I grew a lot. But now I'm ready for the next step. For me, that means getting back to my education and really diving in to my English teaching studies. The next couple of years will entail a lot of career training, and I'm looking forward to it.

Thank you for following my adventures in Russia. There is still a lot that lies ahead of me - I feel as though I've only just started. You can bet that I'll keep writing about it. If you'd like to tag along, you are more than welcome.

There is so much yet to come.

Humbly yours,

Jessica Grosland

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Culture shock? That's funny, but I can understand it. I'm so glad you loved Russia. There was once a time that you really wanted to be home and were banging calendars on your head. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've enjoyed the ride!

Robin said...

You know, you've been that way since you were a baby. Always reaching for the next milestone. Funny you would say that.

Sorry about the culture shock. We're glad you're home.