No cultural excursions this weekend. Sorry if that makes me really boring, but since my favorite thing to do on the weekends is nothing, this was rather a nice day for me. I slept in; I finished the book I was reading; I prepped for next week's lessons; and I participated in my first Russian birthday party.
My host-sister, Evelen, turned eight years-old last week while I was in Moscow. Her mom was gone on a business trip at the time, so they post-poned the party until this weekend. Actually, as Sonia confessed to me, this is the first birthday party that Evelen has ever had. They've just never done it before. (Oleg and Sonia were both adorably nervous, but things turned out great.)
It turns out that birthday parties in Russia are very similar to birthday parties in America. Evelen had eight friends come over to play games and watch movies and give presents. They had pizza and soda. Then, Sonia brought in a cake with eight candles on it, and everyone sang "Happy Birthday." (They sang it in English, too! I asked Oleg why, because the rest of the party was incomprehensible Russian. He said it's just something they've picked up from movies and TV, and maybe from their English classes. Huh. Who'da thunk?)
So, just in case you've ever wondered, kids in Russia are the same as kids in America - they like to run around screaming, suck the helium out of their balloons, and giggle madly like chipmunks.
2 comments:
That sounds like a great day!
Now if only the package would get there so you could give her my gift. Grr.
Jessica -
I love reading your blog! I don't get to keep up with everything you post, but every time I read it I really enjoy the pictures & everything you post here.
Life is good up here in Salt Lake. I just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying sort-of-a-little-bit keeping up with what you are up to :).
Karla Hendricks
Post a Comment