Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Baking Cookies

When we went to our first week of church, we met a elderly couple who are here serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. They talked to us about how we were enjoying our trip so far, and consoled us when we talked about the things we missed from home. One thing we mentioned was cookies. They don't really have the same baking supplies here, and we could all do with some sweets to treat the homesickness. The Hazelwoods (that's their name) invited us to come over to their house any time and we'd all make cookies together.

Well, today we finally called them up on their offer.


Sister Hazelwood herself hates to make cookies (she confided this in us once we arrived) so the task really fell to us to bake our own deliciousness. Fortunately, most of the girls here love to cook, so I was able to offer advice on which cookies are more delicious - snickerdoodles, of course - and then slink quietly into the living room to chat with Elder Hazelwood.


Oh. The above two pictures are of Kaylie and Clarie. (Kaylie's the one in blue.) They're both from Montana, and actually are the only two in our group who knew each other before they came. Kaylie just graduated from high school - that makes her the youngest person in our group. Clarie is someone I feel a profound kinship with; you see, she also hasn't had her first kiss yet.


This is Sister Hazelwood (above). Her mouth is open because I told her, "Smile, Sister Hazelwood!" and she laughed, saying, "I am smiling!" And that's the truth - she smiles all the time. She is a continuously happy person and very kind. She does, however, have a tendency toward sarcasm and laughs easily at dry humor. In this way - and simply because she's a squat, wrinkly, cheerful woman - she reminds me almost painfully of my own grandmother, who died a few years ago. That's the problem with things that make me happy here: they always make me just a little homesick.


This is Leslie. She doesn't know I took her picture. (You're the best, Leslie!) She's a great example, though, of how easily we all just relaxed once we got to the Hazelwood's home. Leslie, like myself, lives with a host family, so she's in a home setting every day. We agreed, though, the Hazelwood's was nicer. It was warm with grandmotherly comfort. And it was also full of native English speakers.


(Don't give me that look, Elder Hazelwood, I was getting to you!) This is Elder Hazelwood, and he is also fantastic. He made quick friends with Heather, there, and I believe at the point I took this picture he was telling Heather all about the Kennedy family. ("Oh, no. Don't get him started on politics!" Sister Hazelwood moaned.) He also has a great sense of humor and is very fond of us girls already. He's a grandfather, plain and simple: adoring of his young'uns and quick to bestow his hard-won wisdoms on us.

I feel like I should also mention that the Hazelwoods are from New Mexico. You don't really have the full picture of them unless you realize that they both talk with unabashedly hick accents. ("Someday, I'm gonna hafta learn English!" Elder Hazelwood told me.)





This is a picture of our delicious cookies, still in the oven. I'm also deciding that it qualifies at the picture of me being alive in St. Petersburg. Look closely - that's my reflection there. See?

The cookies turned out great, but the company - and the opportunity to rest from our worries - was much better. Here's to all the old wise people I left behind! (*raises imaginary glass of imaginary non-alcoholic beverage*)

(Special Note:  Grandma and Grandpa Reed? Grandpa Grosland? Thanks for always being there for me. I miss you guys more than ever today. All my love, Jess)

3 comments:

Robin said...

What a sweet and tender post. I'm so glad you have some surrogate grandparents over there. And that you got cookies!

Love you!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you got a bit of the comfort you've been needing.

Anonymous said...

I can see forever. 0_o Jk, I love the pics and the story. :D You are awesome.