I've been busy. Who hasn't? It's the end of the semester, I'm trying to work out housing for the summer, I'm looking for a new job, and I'm coming up on the Russia trip. There's so much time and so little to do! ("Scratch that. Reverse it." - Willy Wonka)
The semester is ending well, and I am cautiously hopeful. I got all of my forever-long papers turned in and the ones I've gotten back all scored highly. I also finished all but one of my finals, so after today (or tomorrow morning) things should be looking good, right?
"Because after today I'm gonna be cruising . . ."
Well, they might not be looking so good after all. You see, I was supposed to move into WyView Apartments on Saturday with Beth and Erin, but there have been some rather large hiccups. I've had my contract with WyView for a good month now, but that was only for Spring term. In order to keep my room for Summer term, I needed to accept the hold online. When I tried, however, it told me I wasn't eligible because I'm not taking Summer classes.
"But I'm not taking Spring classes either," I told the lady on the phone when I called to see what was going on.
"The requirements say that you must be registered for at least four credits of classes for each term," she droned.
"But I'm not taking SPRING classes, and I've got a Spring contract."
"Oops. Yeah, I can see that on your file. Er, you'll need to sign up for four credits of classes if you want to keep your contract."
Great. Only I can't take Spring or Summer classes because I can't afford them! So four days before we were supposed to move in, Beth, Erin and I had our housing yanked out from under our feet. We're currently looking for a new - and still cheap - place. I'm not sure where I'll be living for the next few weeks. It's a good thing my parents have a nice big basement . . . .
* * *
Oh, and I'm looking for a new job. Aside from the terrible hours being even WORSE during the summer, my current job is only available to current BYU students. Since I'm not taking Spring or Summer classes, they'd usually keep me on for having Fall classes. BUT! I am not taking Fall classes because I will not be in the country!!! Therefore, I have only two weeks left at my current job before they'll kick me out.
And because I want to make sure I have enough money for Russia, I'm probably actually looking for TWO jobs. My plan is to work all the time, all summer long, and then to flee the U.S. We'll see how reality turns out.
I'll make the update on Russia brief: I start making payments in May. I'm signed up for a training session on July 14-15 at which I'll learn the ILP's teaching method and more about the area I'll be serving in. And I leave in August, sometime between the 22nd and the 26th.
It's all very exciting and very fast. I can't really keep a handle on it. I just try to "keep moving forward." (I LOVE "Meet the Robinsons!)
Sigh. I have to go study now. (*waves resignedly and pulls out giant textbook*)

8 comments:
Wow, that sounds super stressful! I wish you the best of luck! I know you'll figure it out.
We WILL work it out! We are almost there and we WILL have solid plans again once more!
Not as though "again once more" is at all redundant, of course...
I highly suggest Anna Karenin to get you flush with Russian culture (of a bygone era). Leo Tolstoy really immerses you in Russian social life -- and AK is much shorter than War and Peace! ;)
Good luck with the housing thing!
I'm living in Regency... its only 100 per month, and I'm not even a BYU STUDENT, much less taking classes this summer.
That's lame about your haousing. But that's super cool about Mother Russia!
P.S. I misspelled 'housing', but I think it looks a little more exciting, so I'm leaving it alone.
By coming to this blog late I get to know that some of this has been worked out or is over. You'll be fine. In fact, you'll probably be excellent.
Love you! (At least you know that won't change.)
Just be happy that these last 2 weeks of work will be the best ever! Way better than any other job you could find! Hey, maybe you and Damon should all go apply together! :) That could probably get him off his lazy bum!
Post a Comment