This is my friend Alena:
(She's real, I swear! It's just that I'm not on Facebook, so I couldn't snatch any real-life photos of her. I made her draw this on my laptop here in the HBLL.)
Alena works custodial with me at 4:00 in the morning, so she's pretty cool. Unlike me, she's actually there EARLY every day! (What's up with that?) Also, she's an Amazonian princess with massive biceps, but she doesn't like to talk about that.
Damon the Ditcher - my OLD friend from work - brought us together when he skipped work one day and I took his spot as Alena's partner on bathrooms. We spent the whole time talking about Damon and making fun of his shiny bald head. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
We still make fun of people a lot. To their faces. Out of love, of course. (It's the people we DON'T make fun of who have something to worry about.) Like Jo-nathan, who tells us things he probably shouldn't, because we never let him live 'em down. Or Brian, who is a shout-y mean boss with a cuddly little heart on the inside. Or Thomas the Ballroom Dancer, who is currently suffering a fake-bake tan so that he'll win more dance competitions. We're like family; we make fun of each other to show that we care.
Alena and I study in the library together after work. Actually, if we're together, we're probably not studying. If we want to really get anything done, we have to take a vow of silence and stop distracting each other. But it's still nice to have someone nice sitting by you while you do your homework. Someone to beat off the boys with a crowbar. (We have that problem a lot, naturally.)
We recently discovered a poster in one of the recycling bins at work. A Humanities poster with a VERY attractive man on it. Alena and I loved that man too much to send him off to be reincarnated into a t-shirt or something, so we stole the poster and hung it in our custodial closet where we could see his handsome face every day. It was a really excellent plan, until Brian came in and found four of us girls giggling around the poster and his Fun allergy kicked in. He drew on our beloved's face with a marker and then threw him away! Alena and I are still not speaking to him.
So now you know Alena, and when I tell you about the crazy capers we're getting up to, you'll understand who I'm talking about. Because we have some pretty crazy capers planned for our dearly departed friend Damon. Oh yes....

4 comments:
Everyone needs an Alena, especially in at work.
I look forward to hearing about the capers.
You have no idea how my heart jumped when I learned you have a new close friend. It made me happy.
Yay for Alena! (And for you, because I probably don't say that enough. Yay for Jessica!)
You make it sound as though you have very little faith in the bizarre loners Jess has as friends otherwise, Robin ;)
But seriously; morning crew friends are the best :D I remember the crew in the days that Mike, Joe, and Becca still existed... Good times.
So awesome. :D You ought to wreck some revenge on Brian. That is intolerable...
Post a Comment