Oh, yeah: My post last week with the frowny face. Hm. Yes, I can see why that might lead you to think I was depressed. Well, you'd be correct: I was depressed. I am not so now. And it was really just one big fat stupid incident that ruined my entire day yesterday, but it's mostly in the past and not worth worrying about. But don't worry, I will divulge.
Depending on how long you've been
(*deep breath*)
Let's talk about something happy. Like my Country Western Dance class!
Yeah, I know, this is not a picture of country dancing. (Who country dances in a suit?) But all of the pictures I could find of actual country dancing were of old people for some reason. Weird.
Anyway, I love country dancing, and I am REALLY excited about this class. Country music is far from my favorite to listen to most of the time, but I think it's some of the best music for dancing. It's all bouncy and exciting! So far we've learned two dances: the Cowboy (a line dance) and the Shoemaker (a square dance). And I keep dancing them when I'm not in class, to practice and to make people confused. The only thing this class lacks is boys. We need boys. BADLY.
Besides Spanish (stupid.textbook.hate.dumb.growl) and Country Dancing, I am taking four other classes this semester. Church History [from the Martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith to 1901], American Literary History, Writing Literary Criticism, and Physical Science. Nothing much to say about any of these at present, except that we watched a 20 min clip from Stargate during my first Writing Literary Criticism class - and it was AWESOME.
Also, I have made some headway on my New Year's Resolutions! In the way of #4 (watch at least 12 of my friends become married people) this last week I received word that two of my high school friends are now engaged...to each other! This was not surprising at all, however, and my reaction was mainly that of "Well, it's about time!"
In the way of #6 (being social and making new friends) I have really worked hard to start up conversations with people in my new classes instead of waiting for someone to talk to me. I've made a couple teeny connections with that, but the bigger news is that I have become reacquainted (almost accidentally) with one Jimmy Moore.
You remember him? No, probably not. Well, here's a blog post from Fall 2009, when he first became a significant character in my life. He lived in my apartment complex last year, and our two apartments were good friends. His significance mostly comes from the fact that we went on a couple of dates and realized we were both total nerds. Also, he was my "first kiss."
Anyway, I ran into him on Friday when I had run back into one of my classrooms to get something I'd left behind. He was sitting on a bench playing a computer game on his laptop, and (being more socially proactive these days) I swallowed my fear that I wouldn't be recognized and said hello. He was very surprised to see me, but also apparently pleased because he moved all his stuff off the bench so I could sit down and talk for a while. (A while = one hour, apparently.) We caught each other up on where we were and what we were up to, and mostly just talked about nerdy things. Except I expanded my socializing still further. (Wow, I am like a force of nature!)
He's the president of the Nerd Club (that's not really what it's called, but it might as well be) on campus, and they're having a meeting next Tuesday night, and I said I'd come. See?! See me branching outside of my own domicile?!
So let's see, that's 10 points for reestablishing and old acquaintance, plus 20 because it's a guy who took me on a few dates a while back, and 50 points for going to a club and making a horde of new friends!
I am becoming continually more awesome.
EDIT: Since you all asked, and also because I'm pretty sure it's not a secret, the engaged pair I mentioned are Kyle and Lauren. They've been practically engaged forEVer, so it's no surprise either.

7 comments:
OH! I have a proposal for you. But you have to let me know if you really want to live in an apt with Erin and I or if you're just humoring us. ;)
Curse buying text books! No matter how long I shop online to make sure I'm getting the absolute cheapest thing out there, I still feel like I've been cheated.
Who are the people that are engaged? WHO?! I MUST KNOW!
That Country Swing class sounds fun, really. And you are quite awesome, Grosland.
Yay you!
Okay, I'm totally jealous of your country swing class. You're crazy-good at the line dances! That will be so much fun.
Also, "hate" is a strong word, but it's the only one I can find that fully describes the way I feel about buying textbooks. It's such a scam! So I feel your pain.
And who the devil is getting married?!
"Nerd Club" Let's see . . . College Democrats? Uh, Math Club? No, no -- I've got it! Science fiction and fantasy club!
On a more serious note -- Yay you! You are such an awesome person and yes, becoming more awesomer all the time!
I agree with Kim. :) I always feel cheated about textbooks...
I took a Big Band swing class last year and it was AWESOME, except I don't know anyone else who does it and I'm too chicken to go to the dances by myself. Eh.
And I, along with everyone else, am waiting to see about this new "engaged" couple. There are far too many already!
Post a Comment