It's a drawing test. And you are invited to participate. You will need a piece of paper and a writing stick of some sort. (The application Paint works equally well. And I suppose drawing it in your own blood on the wall would work too, but it might say some weird things about your personality . . . ).
Are you ready? Okay, let's get started.
The rules are simple: Draw a picture that has these four things in it - 1) The sun; 2) A body of water; 3) A house; and 4) A snake. You can have other things in your picture too, you just have to make sure you include those four main things.
...
...
...
Well, what are you waiting for? Draw!
...
....
.....
......
.......
......
.....
....
...
....
.....
......
.......
......
.....
....
...
....
.....
......
.......
......
.....
....
...
You finished? Good. Now on to the fun part: figuring out what it all means!
(Note: Skeptics may leave now, or they will be thrown out by my gorilla bouncer. I'm not pretending this is an exact science; psychology rarely is. But it has proven to show some really interesting insights in everyone I've tried it on so far. So let's just check it out and see what happens, okay?)
The House: The house represents you. It is the way you see yourself, or it shows things about yourself that you hadn't considered. If your house is big, or in the center of the picture, then you are the most important influence in your life. If you have lots of detail on your house, you may be someone who likes to get dressed up, or you may be a complicated person. If your house has lots of windows, you like other people to see what you're doing; if you have more than one door, you like to invite people in.
The Sun: The sun represents your father. If it is big, or close to the center, or close to your house, then your father is a huge influence on your life. If it has a smiley face, or is pointy, those say things about your dad's personality.
The Water: The body of water represents your mother. The location and size of the water obviously show her influence on you, and the sun's and water's relationship to each other and the house are representative of your parents' relationship with each other and with you. If there are details in the water, sort those out yourself. I can't see your picture.
The Snake: This is the funnest part. The snake represents your evil side! How big or sinister it is shows how much of an influence it has on you, of course. If it's in the water, you feel like your evil side comes from your mother. If it's off in the distance, you're evil side is barely noticeable. One guy I saw drew a snake coming out of the mouth of the sun, and he admitted afterward that he thinks his worst habits come directly from his dad. It's crazy cool.
Want to see my picture? Of course you do. You wouldn't be reading my blog if you didn't have an unhealthy obsession with my life. Very well, here it is.
See how my mother and father are almost exactly the same size, both rather large but not overwhelming my house? And I've put them on a separate hill from me, trying to distance myself from their influence as I'm getting older and trying to be more independent. My house has a bush and a flower, but that's all the decoration I can master. And the coolest part is my snake. HE'S INSIDE THE HOUSE!
whoa. the massive flow of personal insight here is eerie.
This felt completely perfect to me, once I was told what it was supposed to mean. Any of you who have read my depression posts know that I am fully aware that there is a darkness in me, and I clutch it to myself. I don't think of it as some evil thing that invades me on occasion, but simply as the shadowed depths of myself. That's why it made even more sense when I tried to explain - to my freaked out friends who were taking the test with me - why I had drawn the snake inside the house, unabashedly looking out the window. "It's the snake's house," I said, cheerfully.
Anyway, I hope this was fun for you and distracted you from more important and stressful things. I love personality tests! Now you can make everyone around you take the test, and you'll find out all sorts of secret-y things about them that even THEY didn't know!
Psychology is cool. :)

6 comments:
It was a totally fun family activity. Thanks for sharing. Although I think I need to go back to therapy now, after analyzing my picture.
I tried this, but I didn't see anything that gave me profound insights about my life. But now I have a cool little picture!
So... If I have a happy snake sleeping in the sunshine by the pond which is underneath the giant sun, what does that say about my evil side?
I hate snakes. Thus mine is completely minuscule and in this tiny corner of the picture. I don't think that really portrays me...but everyone else can think it does...
Help! With the friendly sun high over the ocean, my snake rows a boat with a small house in it. Doctor, doctor!
Interesting. The cool part for me was that the snake was coming out of the house, wrapping itself around the tree. That's great! Very encouraging to me for my life right now. :)
Post a Comment