Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

So Much Effort...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: College is dumb.

Gees, I just started summer and already I spend all my time freaking out about school. I still don't know where I'm going to live. I've been all over the BYU off-campus housing website, but all that can really do is give me names of a handful of places that might have a vacancy. I went with my dad - who rocks - up to Provo to check out a few of the locations, but it was Sunday and I didn't want to bother anyone, so all I really did was browse and take pictures of some of the more promising places.

Also, I desperately need to find a job. I already have one, yes, but 1) It doesn't pay nearly enough, and 2) It's too far from campus and I don't have a car/motorcycle/shopping cart to drive back and forth every day. The BYU website's not really much help with finding a job, either, so I'm going to have to head up to Provo and scrounge around the Wilkinson Center looking for "Help Wanted" signs.

Basically, I need to go hit up BYU for a day or three. Group field-trip, anyone?

Just kidding. I'm an "adult" now, after all. I can go job/housing hunting by myself. But the idea of wandering around, helpless and alone, in ZoobieLand? It frightens me.

Our young heroine walks briskly down the street, a map and a notebook clutched to her chest as she looks around suspiciously. The group of laughing girls across the street take no notice of her, but she can't shake the feeling that someone is watching her. She takes a shortcut, forsaking the heavily-trafficked road for a lonely, quiet sidewalk that weaves through a bit of manufactured landscape. The bushes and trees look somehow artificial in their brightness, and she finds it slightly irritating.

Suddenly, there's a noise behind her. She whips around and her map falls out of her hands; her blue eyes widen in panic. Nothing there but a bush, rustling in the slight breeze. Berating herself for the lapse in sensibility, she turns back around...and cries out in terror.

"AHH!"

Standing not two feet away from her, as if he had materialized out of thin air, is a clean-cut young man with bright eyes and a huge smile. Our heroine staggers back, alarmed. "Hi!" the boy says, simply bursting with enthusiam. When he receives no reply, he bends down and picks up the map that she dropped. "You must be new." There's a strange relish in his voice as he says the word 'new'. He thrusts out his free hand and steps forward again. "My name's Moroni." Taking no notice of the fact that she is wincing away from him, Moroni grabs her hand and shakes it. "Do you need someone to show you around? I'd just love to-"

"AHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

Shrieking madly, our heroine yanks her hand free and drops her notebook in her rush to escape, turning and dashing down the path with her arms flailing, leaving Moroni standing frozen, a bemused expression on his face.

(*shudders*)

I feel bad for BYU. They deserve better than a psychotic resister.

5 comments:

Logan Thomas said...

You forgot about the voices...

"..marriage....marriage......get married......."
they whisper their message in the wind, "..marriage..."

So, how long do you think you'll last?

Jessica Grosland said...

BYU. Where the trees sing, "Can you feel the love tonight?"

Come on. I don't even date. The chances of me getting married before I'm 30 are pathetically slim. Even my mother thinks so.

But who knows? Maybe (*adopts a scary voice*) you'll come back from your mission, and I'll be at your Welcome Back party with a HUSBAND on my arm and a BABY in my stomach!

MUA HA HA!!!




(*shudders*)

Anonymous said...

Woah. That... woah. :D I'm so JEALOUS. You write wonderfully. You. Are. Great.

Anyways. Have you tried jobs.byu.edu
and if so, when you start pushing around campus I'd love to join you. See, I'm in a similar state of not-able-to-live cuz I have a cheap job and I need another one...

Anyways. Oh, and did you look at the place Leslie lives? If you're interested...

Breanna said...

Hey I'll go job hunting with you. I need one too...lame!

Anonymous said...

Oh, incidentally, go to: customize (on your blog nav bar at the top) and then go to the settings tab and under that the "publishing" link.

There's a section that says: "blogspot address". You can change it on availability. :D