So it turns out that the more of a life you have, the less time you spend on the internet. Weird, huh?
Not that having a life is a very good excuse for not blogging. I posted far more frequently when I was living and teaching in RUSSIA than I have been as of late, and my life here is definitely not that exciting. I think most of the reason I haven't been blogging is that I've been letting myself get caught up in the sprinting lifestyle - I just run from place to place to place, all the while trying not to think too hard about what I'm doing.
Just so you know, that's NOT a good life strategy.
So let me get you caught up on my life as of right now. The first thing you should know is that I am in the MTC.

That's right - I have a job now! I am doing custodial work at the Missionary Training Center in Provo. I really love working custodial, odd as that may sound. (It's just so gratifying, so instantly!) However, a huge part of my job lies not in doing the actually cleaning, but in managing the missionaries as they do the cleaning.
Missionaries at the MTC are required to do service every week, as part of their training. Some of them are assigned to clean the buildings with the custodial staff, so every morning (I work from 6:00am to 10:00am) we get around four or five companionships of missionaries who report to us for service. We assign them to their tasks, teach them how to do it, and supervise their efforts. Depending on how many missionaries we get that day, we may or may not do any actual cleaning ourselves.
Sweet job, eh?
I'm still going to classes, however, and that part of my life has not been sweet this past few weeks. Since coming back from Russia I have been struggling with my approach to my schoolwork. Before, it was the most important thing I was doing. After spending a semester away, though, it's really easy for me to look at school and think, "You know what? There is a lot more to life than just school." So now when I still have homework by bedtime, I don't stay up until three in the morning to finish it (usually). I just go to bed, knowing that the work will still be there in the morning.
I'm not sure how I feel about this shift in perspective. It's causing me problems, for sure. I have fallen behind in homework more than is acceptable - sometimes I think there is no way I'll be able to catch up. But there's also a certain freedom that has come with it. I feel like I'm not chained to my desk anymore - like, I shouldn't fail all of my classes, but if I do, I know I can still have family and a future and faith. School isn't the center of the universe; God is. If I can focus on Him, then everything will turn out all right.
So even though I'm pretty stressed out about how on earth I'm going to get all of my homework done, I think maybe there's something healthy about me letting school fall by the wayside just a bit. I have been a prisoner to my report card for too long. This may be an over-correction, but hopefully next semester I'll be able to work it out to where I can dedicate to school the time and effort it deserves - and no more.
Well, that's my life right now. Maybe soon I'll get back into the habit of blogging, so that I can tell you more interesting, individual stories; but for now, I hope this brief overview of things is satisfactory.
Good day/night/bye!
- Jessica Grosland
6 comments:
As a math person it is easy to look at a syllabus and figure out what needs to get done in order to get the grade I want and what gets left in the dust. If you want a break down on the lazy method to school, I'd love to help :)
Glad to hear you are giving yourself a pass on some of the thi gs that used to weigh you down. Moderation.
We may not be evolving as a species anymore, but individually we still do. Many, many times. The thing to remember is that each incarnation of ourselves is temporary. This will pass and you'll find yourself in another place.
And that's how it's supposed to be. You're perfectly normal. (Sorry.)
Yay for custodial jobs! I loved them too!
Doesn't it feel good to graduate? :)
Jessica, how long are you going to be working there? My brother's going to be in the MTC come April 18th, in the Portugese section (if they have one :)
I'll be there soon too, along with many others. It'd be much awesome to bump into you with a broom and rag in hand.
Post a Comment