Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Russia, Russia, Russia! I just can't stop talking about it! I'm starting to worry about packing now, since apparently I should start packing within a week or two. I've never been gone more than a week before, so I have to keep reminding myself that this is not like old times: if I forget to pack my toothbrush, I can't get by by just using my finger for a few days. Because it's not going to be a few days - it's going to be a few MONTHS!

Anyway, just to give you a taste of this whole thing, here's the packing list the ILP gave me as a reference. (Notice that at least a third of the items are clothing, so I don't catch cold and die. Yay, Russian winters!)

Packing List

Russian/English Dictionary
Warm clothing (layers)
Thermals
Sweats
Warm & waterproof boots (with good grip)
Comfortable walking shoes
Warm winter coat w/hood
Warm gloves/scarf
Light jacket
Athletic shoes and apparel
Shorts
Nice clothes for church & nights out
Travel-size shampoo/conditioner
Umbrella (compact size)
Flashlight
Backpack
Pocket knife
Water bottle
Alarm clock
Towel
Converter
Vitamins
Camera and extra film
First Aid Kit
Walkman, music, & batteries
Cold medicine
Novels in English for leisure reading
Antibiotics
Xerox copies of passport & visa
Small packets of tissues
Credit Card for emergencies
Hand Sanitizer
ILP Training Binder


Sounds fun, neh? And now for a more audible representation of my near future:





(P.S. Any prayers you can spare for my safety during this trip are appreciated, but I would request that you direct them toward my mother. She's a bit woozy about this whole thing.)

4 comments:

Robin said...

I'm really glad you're in charge of that packing list. I think it's making me woozy.

E said...

Haha, this is great! I'm starting to pack too. Except- not much winter gear on my list. More like, shorts and rain gear. And I know exactly what you mean about the mom being woozy.

Chelsea said...

I love how they wrote walkman! Ha! How has one of those anymore? And you have to take antibiotics? Do they expect you to get a disease over there?

Kim said...

Gosh I'm excited for you! Russia IS, after all, where Spencer (the bro) served his mission. I vote you get one of the cool Russian hats. Also, when you go to St. Petersburg, I request a new rendition of "Have you heard, there's a rumor in St. Petersburg" Please and thank you.