To Everyone:
Flying was really cool. I was only scared during the first take-off, and then it was like riding a roller coaster at best, riding the bus at worst. The overnight flight was the worst because it was so uncomfortable trying to sleep. We decided that sleeping on a plane isn't something you do to rest, but simply to pass the time.
Things stopped going according to plan once we arrived in St. Petersburg. I am safe and reasonably alright in the head, so don't worry. But there were quite a few complications:
1. My luggage never arrived. Everyone else gathered their things on time, but I couldn't find my bags anywhere. I had to fill out a lot of paperwork at the help desk, basically listing how much was in my suitcases and the dollar value in case they can't find them. It was not cool. They have all the information they need to recognize the bags as soon as they come, though. Hopefully, they'll be coming in on the next flight from Frankfurt, and I'll have all my stuff tomorrow morning. If not, well, most of the vital things were in my carry-on or purse anyway.
2. Apparently there was a miscommunication between the ILP and our native coordinator, Alla; because she didn't know we were arriving today. There was no one to pick us up at the airport. When we finally got a hold of Alla, we found out she's out of town. Her adult son and his friend came to pick us up. They both had a car, but the cars in Europe are so small there was barely enough room for four people in each. Our head teacher, Allison, ended up staying at the airport with all the luggage (minus mine, of course) and Steven (Alla's son) drove back to get her once he dropped us off here.
3. Our host families didn't know we were coming, either. So I'll be staying with the rest of the girls in the apartment complex for the first night. This is actually the first thing that's worked out in my favor all day. After the mess of leaving the country for the first time, the onset of homesickness, the culture shock, AND my baggage getting lost, I don't know if I could handle meeting my brand new family-for-four-months tonight.
Anyway, I am safe and well. I could tell you horror stories about the Russian freeway (150km/h), cars full of smoke, and ninth floor apartments you can only get to in tiny rickety elevators, but I don't think I will. I'm a little overwhelmed with it all, and it's been a really long day.
That's another thing. By flying into the future, I missed 10 hours of my life. Weird, huh? I won't get them back until I fly home again. Well, let me tell you from the future: life goes on. I promise.
I'm already getting really tight with some of the girls here. We start teaching in a few days, and I'm sure that actually having something to do will work wonders for my emotional state of being. Until then, all I can think about is that Jumanji (my stuffed cheetah) is lost in Germany somewhere.
I love you all and miss you like crazy. Be good so I don't have to worry about you, alright?
- Jessica
7 comments:
Jumanji was the first thing I thought of, too. I'm sure they'll find them and get them to you. I bet it was because they were hand-tagged. Sorry.
Love you so much!
Ooh! Have fun being in the future!
Sorry for all the craziness. I hope Jumanji finds his way.
Love!
I'm being good. 0-O The most exciting thing to happen to me is that I got a set of Mexican Jumping Beans. Then last night I had a nightmare that the worms inside of them burrowed out of the beans and into my skin.
Yep. 0-O I miss you, Gros. You'll be in my prayers!
Boy does this bring back memories for me. We were delayed on our flight so we arrived a day late. Thankfully, the mission president got the message.
Don't worry, the elevators work... most of the time. I only got stuck in one twice... or was it three times. Well, anyway, you will enjoy the food, it is mostly meat and potatoes. Don't drink the water until you boil it, and if they ask if you drink chai, tell them no, but you will drink Мятный чай, myatnee chai, that is unless you don't like mint.
Enjoy the last week of summer. It should start to get nippy at night in the next couple weeks. If your luggage doesn't show, I recommend a nice warm fur coat. They are pretty inexpensive there, or were a decade or so ago. Most of the local women's winter wear is less than full coverage, but you can pick up a lot of western brand knock-offs made in china for pennies on the dollar.
Watch out for the boys, they may try to get physical at the first glance (nevermind the first date). Don't be afraid to smack them. Keep your eyes wide open and enjoy the ride. I can't wait to hear the stories that you'll tell when you get back.
thanks for letting me know what the future holds. Good luck with luggage, hope you at least get something to hold onto from home.
How about changing the countdown clock that showed when you were leaving to countdown how long until you come back? I could really get on board with that.
Oh wow Jessica! I'm so sorry about all the mishap! How awful! Well, life will perk up once again, right? I hope you didn't leave your scriptures with your luggage! You'll need those! :) Hope everything settle down for you and that you enjoy every minute of it!
Post a Comment