Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Glorious Ostrich

My second favorite bird is the raven, because it's a gorgeous black and symbolic of so many dark, mysterious emotions. But my first favorite bird has to be this one:


Aren't ostriches great?! I love them! I've loved them ever since I was a kid, and I don't quite know why. It's just that every time I see one I think, "Golly, I'd want to get to know that face."

They can't fly, but they can run REALLY FAST. They have big ol' eggs and only two toes on each foot. They're the largest bird on earth, and . . . Oh, why don't I just give you a list?


OSTRICH TRIVIA
1. An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain.
2. Ostriches don't really bury their heads in the sand. They have sand-colored necks and heads, and they lay their heads on the ground as camouflage sometimes.
3. Ostriches are the fastest two-legged animal, able to run 45 miles per hour continuously for at least 30 minutes.
4. There are at least 2 million ostriches in the world; they are not endangered.
5. A full-grown ostrich has one of the most advanced immune systems known to man.
6. Ostriches are dinosaurs: there are ostriches skeletons that have been found which are over 120 million years old.
7. Jessica Grosland's dream is to own a farm of ostriches, and - more specifically - to ride one.



I don't have a lot of favorites. But the ostrich is one of them. I think maybe if I were a bird I might be an ostrich - odd-looking, but strangely charismatic and having secret awesome powers.

( :   I love these guys.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be the best post. Ever. :D

Robin said...

Yes, you have always loved the ostrich. I think going for the unusual is part of who you are.

I would totally support you riding an ostrich, although I think you should try it side-saddle in a dress like that lady.

And I adore that close-up picture. How could anyone not love that face?

Tairsa said...

Haha, this totally just made my day! Thanks for sharing Jessica! If I were to be a bird, it would be a penguin, that's my obsession. They can't fly, but how cool would it be to get places by sliding on your belly? Plus they always look so nice in their tuxedos. ;)

MaggieJo said...

I love that you love the ostrich!