Alright, so I've taken a little vacation from blogging for a while. I sold my laptop to my little sister so that I could inherit my father's when he upgraded a week ago. However, it's taking a while longer to transfer files over than I expected (because of some laziness on my and my father's part) so I haven't been on a computer for very long, and I didn't feel like blogging on someone else's machine. However, as you have obviously realized by now, I am posting again.
And there was much rejoicing. (half-hearted cheering: "Yay.")
Anyway, about Spring Term. (Yes, I am taking Spring classes. No, it is not because I just love school so much that I never want to leave. It is entirely because I have a scholarship and get to go to school for free, so I thought I'd get a hard class out of the way and fill up the rest with easy credits. Besides, what would I be doing with myself if I weren't in school? Sitting at a computer pretending to have a life while reading the blog of someone who's actually contributing to society?! HINT HINT!!!)
Class #1: Econ 110
Someone once described this class as "being dragged through broken glass face-down." It covers two semesters of information in half the time, usually. Since this is Spring, it is covering that material at four times the usual pace. Fun? Not really. But deadly? Nah. It is my only hard class, and so I am able to dedicate to it the time necessary (between 5 and 10 hours a week) without too much strain. Plus, I find my instructor amusing. Bonus.
Class #2: Effective Study and Learning
In all honesty, I took this class because my roommate Xan enjoyed it and told me that it was a cakewalk. I have been learning some good things, though. We talk about how to eliminate procrastination and optimize study/lecture times, but it's all done in a very realistic mindset. They understand we'd rather do almost anything than homework. It's a long class (nearly two hours) and kind of boring, since I'm already such a BRILLIANT student, but the instructor is a bonus here, too. He's a plump, middle-aged Georgian with a heck of an accent and a hilarious way about him. We laugh a lot in that class.
(Note to Beth and Erin: The TA for this class looks quite similar to the Devil. O.o Yeah, I don't have any problems paying attention to him.)
Class #3: Racquetball
I am really enjoying this class. I have it right after Econ, which was excellent planning on my part, because it means that when I leave Econ 110 feeling stressed and frustrated, I immediately get to relieve said tension by whacking things around in a giant concrete box. (*glee*) I'm not great, but I'm pretty good for a beginner. It's a lot of fun and I just wish I had someone to play with/somewhere to play outside of class.
Class #4: Self-Defense
This class is TOTALLY WICKED! It is also a two-hour class, and it is the most exhausting thing I do all week. It's an all girls class except for our coach, and after a rigorous warm-up and some instruction we spend the entire class trying to beat each other up/trying not to get hurt. I have been elbowed, kicked, punched, slapped, and generally abused regularly for the past three weeks. (But you should see the other girl.) I am sooooo tired after these classes, and I'm really glad they're only twice a week, but I have loved everything we've learned. All of our moves are about leverage instead of muscle, so I can prevent someone attacking me no matter how much bigger/stronger they are. I practice on my 130+ pounds, taller and far buffer than me, wrestler brother. He was super surprised when I flipped him on his back the first time. My family is having a lot of fun with it.
The Home Front
I've moved back home for the spring/summer, and it has been quite the transition. I was beyond glad to come back, but it's been kind of a pain trying to figure out how to live at home again. I'm sharing a room (and a bunkbed) with my baby sister Hannah, and I still haven't got most of my things unpacked yet. It's strange how quickly things change, but there's just not enough room for me here at the moment. We're all adjusting. But I will say one thing: emotionally, the adjustment didn't take any time at all. I LOVE MY FAMILY SOOOO MUCH!
4 comments:
I am so glad you are home. I missed you lots. I know it's hard coming back after being on your own. Hopefully the trade offs work to your favor. No more buying groceries. Having a car to use. No more paying utility bills. Things like that.
Plus you get to go into your mom's room and lie on her bed when you are stressed. That should be worth it all! (It is to me.)
Spring term is a killer, but Summer is worse, because psychologically NOBODY should be going to class when it is 95 degrees and blue skies!
Welcome back to Bedford Falls (Brookside)!
Jess,
I play racquetball! I love how you can hit it really hard, but it still stays in the same room as you. You don't have to go running after it!
Anyway, I would play with you! If I had time . . . Sorry!
I approve. :) I'm taking summer classes too, but the bummer thing is that I have to fork out nonexistent money to pay for housing and tuition. Be so grateful for no utilities, no gas money, no groceries, and not needing to buy a toaster.
And laying down on mom's bed is SOOO a plus. Crappy days are always fixed like that. :)
Post a Comment