Pages

Monday, May 24, 2010

How is Life?

"This is the story of a girl
Who cried a river and drowned the whole world.
And while she looks so sad in photographs,
I absolutely love her when she smiles."

No, really. I'm not depressed. Just a tad stressed, is all. I just happen to have always loved that song.

Life's actually going pretty well. Thanks to my Effective Study and Learning class, I'm a lot more on top of my homework than I've been since before I started college. Nothing sneaks up on me anymore, so even though it's a pain to do homework, it's a lot less stressful because I'm not in a panic trying to finish it last minute. So you know, that's coming along.

My Self-Defense class really does make me feel like a ninja. There's no better way to describe it. I get attacked by people every day in class (and sometimes by people at home who want to 'test' me) and I'm always just calm and in control. The best part is that the moves I'm learning don't depend on size or strength. So even though I look like a little weak thing, now that I know what I'm capable of I feel incredibly . . . powerful. I almost want someone to attack me so that I can laugh at the look of shock on their face when I totally dominate them.

Aside from school, I am preoccupied with other things. Mostly worries. What am I going to do this summer? Should I try to get a job or just focus on the other projects I'm supposed to do? And what about next fall? Where will I live? Should I go back to working at the JFSB with my friends whom I miss and the ugly early hour that I don't? How am I going to apply to the Teaching Program in the fall? Should I look into the teaching English abroad program? Should I consider going on a mission? What am I doing with my life?!

Mostly right now I have this "caught in a lightning storm" strategy: Just keep running full out, with your arms over your head, and hope that you don't get hit.

Oh. Side-note you might be interested in: I taught Relief Society in my parents' ward yesterday. I was substituting. Yeah, it looked a little ridiculous, considering that most of the women I was teaching have known me since I was in Primary. I was very, very scared, especially when I found out that one of the ladies from the Stake Relief Society Presidency was there! But it ended up going really well. And next week, hopefully, I'll get to just sit in the audience.

Fare thee well, friends. I'm off to defeat more opponents. In my Econ 110 class! DIE, MONOPOLIST SCUM!!!

5 comments:

Robin said...

Glad you wrote today. Nice to get some thoughts out of your head.

And everyone said you did a fabulous job teaching.

Love you.

Anonymous said...

Gros, your blog always makes me laugh hysterically! You totally made my day. It was so wonderful that I even had to share it with my roommate.

The lightning-storm strategy---awesome. I love. :)

Miss you Gros! Keep your head up and continue running!

Bonnie said...

Hey you. If you're interested in teaching English abroad, I have a friend who is co-director of, what the heck is it called? A program that sends students to teach in Russia and China and ... other places. He's the best. It's three letters. I'll look it up. ILP! ilp.org ... if you're interested I'll hook you up with Steve Brayton. He's a good friend.

Karen Mello Burton said...

You really are at a crossroads. You are a smart girl/woman (gulp) who knows herself. Best of luck.

I taught RS yesterday too!

DarthBillgr said...

Nice post. You are always welcome to live with us until you bug me.

Love,
Me.