Well, here I am again in my apartment. My back is sore from carting around all my extremely expensive textbooks, my brain hurts from being lectured at in three different languages today, and I'm pretty much ready for bed even though it's only 7:30 and I took two short naps today. I think I'm making up for all the naps I wouldn't take when I was in daycare.
I'm tired, and I want to go to bed. So tonight's post is going to be very compact.
Things that happened over the break:
1. I went to an elementary school concert.
2. I worked, slept, ate, and slept some more. Also I read a LOT. But I always do that.
3. I didn't get on the computer much at all. Hence, no blog posts.
4. I got really sick right before Christmas. I was sick to my stomach, my tonsils got really swollen, and I ran a fever of over 102 for a couple days. Yay, me. Fortunately, I was mostly better by Christmas morning, and I had a wonderful Christmas.
5. Christmas, New Year's, my Mom's 40th birthday. All of them were wonderful. I love my family.
6. I went to see Sherlock Holmes. I thought it was really good! For those of you who, like me, were worried that the movie wouldn't show Holmes' brilliant side, fear not. He is a genius, and it shows. I also took my parents out to lunch that day, and we had a lot of fun. So much fun that it wore my dad out, and during the movie - in the middle of the theater - he fell asleep and started snoring. REALLY LOUDLY. ...MULTIPLE TIMES.
7. I went to a wedding reception for a girl who I was in Young Women's with. (Her name is Jessica, too. There are a lot of us.) It was a blast to see all of my old First Ward friends and catch up with what's going on in their lives. Also, I got to dance for the first time in MONTHS. It was awesome. And I engaged in reminiscent conversation about my lack of etiquette at Junior High dances. Oh, the good old days . . .
And now, I'm back in school. I had three classes today, and all of them sounded like they want to squish the life out of me. Since I'm already online and typing blabbering nonsense, I'll overindulge myself by telling you about them.
C S 100 - It is the most basic computer class I could find at BYU. My skills on a computer are limited to the internet and Word documents. The course description said we'd be dealing with Photoshop and PowerPoint, so I thought I'd be able to handle it. Only, guess what I found out today? IT'S A PROGRAMMING CLASS!!! (NOOOOOOOO!!!!)
(*sighs*) My dad's a programmer. And the main thing I learned from him is that I never wanted to be one. But today my professor had me converting decimal numbers into binary and then back to decimal and then into hex (which is base 16, apparently) and I pretty much have no idea what I'm doing. All I know is that my professor said that it would take "between three and six hours doing work outside of class per week."
English 218R - Creative Writing! Yay! I'm really excited for this class. We're going to start with essays, then move on to poetry, and finish with short-story fiction. There is, however, a TON of reading that we need to do, plus a daily writing assignment. Plus, we'll be going to literary readings, plays, and other events. So there's some MORE homework for me, so I don't have spare time and become forced to resort to socializing.
Spanish 105 - ...yea, this class is going to be REALLY difficult. I'm pretty quick when it comes to learning Spanish, but I can still tell that this class is going to require a LOT of studying. The homework load itself is extensive, and then add on top of that lab hours where I have to go sit in a room and try to talk to people in Spanish for an hour at a time, and then add on top of THAT attending cultural events like going to Spanish wards or lectures or whatever. Now my homework load should prevent me not only from the dangers of having free time, but also protect me from developing the unproductive habit of sleeping.
And yet, I have to go to two new classes tomorrow, who - I can only imagine - also want to add to my weekly workload. (*tired sigh*) This semester is going to be F-U-N, I can tell.
4 comments:
I sympathize with you Jessica... or commiserate... or whichever... :) This semester is going to be great! 17 credits of good hard work... but don't worry, you'll make it! :)
Change your computer class while you still can.
And . . . use all those assignments like going to literary readings and attending Spanish firesides . . . to take along a date!
Isn't college great??
There's a reason you do all this stuff while you're young -- it would kill me!
Hehe, don't sweat it, man. Programming is fun :D
Can't say as much for your other classes though... Except Creative Writing. I really wish I were taking that right now.
Post a Comment